My Fitness Coach Review: Part 2

Sunday, April 26, 2009

This is Part 2 of the My Fitness Coach Review. (Part 1 is here.) I will be discussing an actual workout.

After you've completed your profile, you can start working out. One of the really cool things about My Fitness Coach is that if you and your spouse or you and a friend want to work out together, it is possible. If each of you create a profile, you can choose "Group Workout" and Maya will choose a workout that is suitable for both of you and give both of your profiles credit for the workout!

Once you decide you want to start a workout, you can choose what type of workout you want to focus on. Maya will always recommend something with a star, but you can choose whatever you want. You can choose a focus of Yoga, Cardio, Upper Body, Core Body, Lower Body, and Flexibility.


Another cool feature is getting credit for a workout you completed that is not part of the My Fitness Coach program. Did you walk for an hour today? You can choose "get credit" and choose what type of workout you completed and how long.


Now back to the workout . . . once you've chosen what type of workout you want to complete today, you tell Maya how long you want to work out. It is good if you stick with the goal time you set in the beginning, but it is also a good thing this program is flexible.

You can choose what type of music you want to listen to during your workout (and more music choices are unlocked as you progress through the program.) Hip-hop, Eighties, and Latin beats are available in the beginning, but you can eventually unlock Yoga, Dance, Techno, and House beats.

I think this next part is pretty cool. You can choose your workout "environment." (Although technically, Maya is the only one who actually gets to BE in the environment.) I like the Empress' Dojo - it reminds me of the Matrix. Or Kung Fu Panda, I'm not sure which. ;-)

Throughout the game, you get little fitness tips.

My only real complaint has to do with the beat. Before each new workout, Maya says, "hold on while I get the beat". Usually Maya does a good job of staying on the beat, but coming from a dance background, I get a little frustrated when she does something funky when switching between exercises. The good thing is, I just keep going and ignore her when she doesn't do it right (in my opinion).

Once Maya gets the beat, she starts a warm-up, goes through the workout, and does a cool down.

You tell her at the beginning of each workout what fitness equipment you have (or want to use) and she works it in, if it makes sense for that particular workout.

As you work out, a clock keeps track of how much longer you have to work out and the difficulty level of each move. Along the bottom, each exercise scrolls across the screen, so you always know what is coming up.

Throughout the workout, Maya will give you rest periods, and will ask you how you did in the previous segment. You can say, No Sweat, I Was Working Hard, or I Could Barely Keep Up.

If you say "No Sweat", BEWARE. Maya will up your workout the next time around. So only say this if you truly mean it!! If you say "I was working hard," she will keep you at the same level and if you say "I could barely keep up" she'll take it down a notch for you the next time.

According to the book, after every 10th workout, Maya will have you do the Fitness test again and it will update your progress graphs.

Over the next few weeks, I'll take more pictures (and maybe convince Hunkahubby to let me take pictures of him in action) and show you more about the workouts.

So far, I think it is a simple but very effective program and is a good choice to add to your workout regime!!



Have any of you tried My Fitness Coach? What are your thoughts?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Natural dietary supplements are another great way to lower blood pressure naturally and maintain a healthy pressure. Exercise lowers blood pressure naturally in many ways.

http://lowerbloodpressure.weebly.com/

Time for a Change in Me Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino