The Fiber Bars War

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Yes! It's time for the Fiber Bars War. In the past several weeks, I've noticed several new fiber bars on the grocery shelves and I decided I needed to compare them.


Today, I am comparing the Fiber One Oats & Chocolate bar (a personal favorite of mine up to this point), the Quaker Fiber & Omega-3 Dark Chocolate Chunk bar, and the Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants Dark Chocolate Almond bar.

The one thing I want to mention up front is that they are all pretty close to the same size, but the Kellogg's bar is a tad smaller. Also, they all contain 9 grams of fiber. That's a pretty big chunk of your daily fiber intake! (Want to know how much fiber you should eat per day? Check here.)


First, we have the Fiber One Oats & Chocolate bar, which has been around a while. I even talked about it in an earlier post. It is very tasty and was even mentioned as a good snack choice on The Biggest Loser. However, many people think these bars contain too much sugar to constitute a regular go-to snack. (And if that's the case, then some people may not eat ANY of these bars . . . but me? I'm willing to take the risk.)

The next bar is a new bar from Quaker. It is also very tasty and very comparable to the Fiber One bar. I liked it, but there wasn't anything that made it stand out from my Fiber One staple.



Finally, we have the Fiber Plus bar from Kellogg's. I have to admit, I AM IN LOVE with this bar. Maybe it is unfair that I'm putting it up agains the other sad nut-less fiber bars - but the addition of almonds to this bar is just YUMMY. It has become my favorite fiber bar of choice.

But how do these bars stack up nutritionally??

Let's find out! I've created a chart below that compares the nutritional information of each bar.


Dietary InformationKellogg'sFiber OneQuaker

Calories

130

140

150

Total Fat

5g

4g

4g

Sodium

50mg

90mg

35mg

Dietary Fiber

9g

9g

9g

Sugars

7g

10g

7g

Protein

2g

2g

2g

Calcium

10%

10%

-

Iron

4%

2%

4%

Vitamin E

20%

-

-

Zinc

20%

-

-

WWP*

2

2

3



They are all pretty comparable - but I believe my new love, The Fiber Plus bar wins this war! Less calories and 1g added fat, but added vitamins and AWESOME flavor. I don't even care that it is a little bit smaller!!

I thought maybe the almonds made the difference, but when I went to the store recently, I found another flavor of Fiber Plus - Chocolate Chip. Amazingly, the stats are the same as the bar with Almonds, except it only has 120 calories and 4g of fat. Woohoo!!

So the next time you're in the grocery store - pick up your fiber bar of choice - you'll be glad you did. (Especially if you pick this one!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about this. I was googling for a comparison between the fiber bars, and this was very helpful. I had been using the Fiber One bar as a breakfast staple for months, until i finally noticed the sugat content - 10g per bar is like 3 teaspoons of sugar. So that is a lot of sugar every morning to start the day, and i wish they would launch a lower sugar version. Kellogg's Fiberplus comes in at 7g of sugar, which is more like 2 teaspoons. So from that perspective, Kellogg wins, because i am trying to cut sugar from my diet where possible - so i am switching from Fiber One. The other thing that bothered me is the use of corn syrup - Fiber One uses maltose corn syrup, which is somewhat similar to fructose corn syrup. The Kellogg label says sugar. So i was trying to find out if the Kellogg bars have actual sugar (which is healthier) instead of the maltose or fusctose corn syrups, which would also be a big plus in my book.

Time for a Change in Me Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino